The SmartSite outage continues. UC Davis is actively working to resolve the situation, and is proceeding as if the vendor that hosts SmartSite will not be able to restore access by the end of the quarter.
This is the update for May 25:
- Students' grades are safe. Although the web interface is down, grades are stored in a secure database. The campus expects final grades will be posted on schedule, and that students will be able to view them via my.ucdavis.edu.
- In support of that goal, the campus is devoting all available IT resources so that grade data can be extracted for instructors by this weekend, to give instructors a means by which they can access assignment grades for this quarter.
- The campus is working on creating file-sharing groups and email classlists for faculty, for all of their current courses and sections. The intent is to provide instructors with an alternative means to store and share course materials and communicate with their students. Faculty will receive additional information about this development via email.
- Instructions and guidelines for using non-SmartSite resources to share learning materials are available here. The IT Express Service Desk can help support faculty who want to post materials to Box. Please call 754-HELP (4357).
- Campus programmers continue to work on bringing SmartSite back onto campus, and have made some initial, limited progress. Nothing is accessible yet.
- Employees in IET and other departments are working full time on recovering from this outage, and IET is ready to add more resources to IT Express to support additional requests for help as needed.
Information and Educational Technology thanks faculty, students and staff for their continuing help, patience, understanding, advice and suggestions. IET plans to post another daily update Thursday at TechNews, and will post status updates at status.ucdavis.edu. Previous articles about the outage and how it began are available at TechNews.
If you have questions or comments, please contact IT Express at 530-754-HELP (4357).