The Banner student information system will receive a major upgrade when it moves from version 8 to version 9 beginning this fall. UC Davis must adopt version 9 in order to continue receiving regular compliance updates, software patches, and other support.
If you work directly with Banner, the most visible change will be to the forms you use to enter and retrieve information. Specifically, navigation through the forms is different in Banner 9 than in Banner 8 due to a new forms platform. If you work indirectly with Banner through another application, you won’t see anything change.
How to learn more
If you work directly in Banner, you have several options for learning about Banner 9 and the transition. You can:
- Explore the transition project website and FAQ at banner9.ucdavis.edu.
- Subscribe to the firstname.lastname@example.org listserv, which distributes information about Banner. To subscribe, send a request to email@example.com.
- Ask questions, and see a demonstration of Banner 9 at one of the recurring Zoom sessions with members of the Banner 9 workgroup. The sessions will start in August. Details will be posted to the listserv.
- Attend one of the Banner 9 project presentations, to such groups as the Technology Support Program (TSP) and the IT Services Committee (ITSC). Details will be posted to the listserv.
Training in Banner 9 is being developed and should begin this month. Instruction will be offered through the campus learning management system and in instructional videos.
- October 2018: Banner 9 becomes active in production with the Accounts Receivable and Financial Aid modules
- October 2018 to July 2019: Transition period. Both Banner 8 and 9 are active (this might vary by module)
- January 2019: Various Student modules begin to go active with Banner 9
- Dec. 31, 2019: Ellucian ends support for Banner 8 forms at UC Davis; Banner 8 is decommissioned
Multi-year improvement initiative
UC Davis uses Banner to hold student, financial aid, and student account records in a centralized database and makes the information available to campus users. The system supports student registration, student academic records, admissions, financial aid processing, student accounting, myucdavis, and other key campus services.
Banner 9 eliminates the use of Oracle Forms. This phase of the Banner improvement initiative includes changing any UC Davis customized forms, testing the forms, and offering training on the new forms. Banner 9 forms look different than Banner 8 forms but will have the same data points and access the same database.
The move to Banner 9 is the next step in a plan to update the student information system at UC Davis. Last October, the Banner group improved the system’s infrastructure. This year they are making various changes and updates to Banner 8 that will set the stage for Banner 9. Details about those changes will be sent to Banner users.
If you have questions or comments, please contact the Banner team at firstname.lastname@example.org.